Ownership in the Co-op
Become an owner of Fiddleheads Food Co-op with an initial equity investment of just $25.
When you become an Owner of Fiddleheads Food Co-op you’re supporting a community owned business striving to bring high quality food choices to Southeastern C.T. By joining the co-op you’re part of a grassroots effort to build our store for our community, in return you get a co-op that offers exclusive sales and promotions to its ownership!
The Value of Equity: Paying it Forward
Co-ops are supported by the equity of their owners. Most private businesses take venture capital or sell stock to provide funds to grow, and business decisions are driven by profit and short-term financial returns to those investors. By contrast, co-ops are funded by a grassroots effort from the community. Equity investment allows us to make our store better for you and to focus on results that will benefit the entire community long-term.
And In Exchange:
• You get a Co-op: Your investment and continued patronage allows us to grow and thrive, and we welcome your input to improve our service and product mix. Your engagement in the Co-op is as valuable as your financial investment.
• You support future development: We can use equity to improve our store: investing in infrastructure and equipment, allows to expand our product selection.
• You support education: With equity we can expand our education programming, growing our community’s
knowledge and awareness on topics like health, sustainability, agriculture and more!
• You foster a stronger community: The Co-op supports local community organizations through our Neighborly Nickel Program, in-kind donations and sponsorships.
• You support local farms & businesses: The Co-op strives to bring local sustainable products to support our local economy. In 2018, Fiddleheads customers purchased over 950 different local products grown or made within 100 miles of the co-op, representing over $567K in sales supporting 100 regional busineses.
Who can be an owner?
Anyone is welcome to become a Co-op owner. Ownership is voluntary and joining begins with filling out an application and contributing the first equity payment of $25 which is the share par value. Owners have the right to terminate their ownership by submitting an equity refund request and forfeiting ownership privileges.
What does ownership mean?
Ownership means that you are one of more than 3000 community members who have invested equity in the Co-op. This means you can vote and run for the Board of Directors, attend Board meetings and the Annual Meeting & Party. In addition, owners receive special owner sales and promotions.
Why be an owner?
You get a Co-op! A grocery store where you have a voice. We also offer exclusive savings programs, coupons, and special events to our owners.
How do I become an owner?
It's Easy! Become an owner of our Co-op by filling out a brief application and making your first equity payment. A household share in the Co-op is $175. Many Fiddleheads owners use our payment plan, paying $25 annually until they reach full equity. Ask a staff member for more information at the store. *Please note a $5 processing fee will be applied on all equity payments.
Do I have to work or volunteer at the Co-op to be an owner?
Not at all. We have a great staff to operate the store, all you have to do as an owner to support your store is to shop with your Co-op.